This is the 3R logo I did for a project about 3r sometime early this year for a children exhibition. I’m sure many of you have seen some form or another of this recycle logo. What is 3R ? And are anyone truly practicing them ? I’m happy to say that in Ipoh there’s a company that is promoting 3R and encouraging Perakian to be more environmentally conscious of their surrounding. To know more about this company and their recycling programme please click here.
Let’s get back to 3R. Many website and blogsite explained about 3R. But there are still alot of people who are ignorance or stubborn or couldn’t be bothered. See…. from my way of thinking…. the older generation couldn’t be bothered because they ain’t gonna be around much longer, the mid-age are stubborn because they are too busy making MONEY by destroying the environment and the younger generation is ignorance because they were never taught by their parents or teachers about 3R. Asked around you and I’m sure you will see a pattern appearing of Malaysian who are too BUSY shopping (adding to the rubbish), making MONEY(using up more natural resources) “I’m not against anyone making money but be more environmentally conscious-lah” . You say enough liau-lah, I say no-way. Doesn’t it feels terrible when someone bitch about something you know YOU can do a difference ? Remember what Mahatha Gandhi said, “be the CHANGE you wish to see in THE WORLD” It doesn’t have to be creating or inventing anything to do something for the world, small gesture of managing you waste with 3R makes alot of different. Think about the future generation. This earth/world do belong to them.
Below is the copies I wrote for “A family guide to 3R” brochure. It’s to help every individual to do 3R – REDUCE, REUSE & RECYCLE.
BE GREEN, BE RESPONSIBLE
A FAMILY GUIDE TO 3R – REDUCE, REUSE & RECYCLE
The issues of pollution and the state of the environment have become worldwide concerns. Every time we turn on TV or read the newspaper we are treated to the latest environmental disaster. Issues like water pollution, the Greenhouse Effect, ozone depletion and acid rain are discussed in every corner of the globe. This new awareness brings hope for the future. We need to work together to keep our planet clean and free of toxic wastes. Remember, earth is our only home.
3 GREAT WAYS YOU CAN BE A HERO AND SAVE OUR EARTH
Waste when thrown into bin, becomes a part of the environment – that’s YOUR environment, everything that surrounds you including air, land, plants, water and man-made things. You need a healthy environment for your own health and happiness. Effective waste management is important, the waste we create has to be carefully controlled so that it does not harm your environment and your health.
What is waste ?
Waste is anything discarded, throwaway, rejected, surplused, abandoned or released into the environment.
If you love your home (earth) than NOW is the time to step up and take action. Be green, be responsible and think of your family’s future.
HOW CAN I HELP ?
You and your family can help by practising the 3R’s of waste management : Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Practising all three of these activities everyday is important for a healthy environment. Take a few minutes right now to learn more about waste and waste management, so that you and your family can be key players in making our world a safe and healthy place.
Why do you need to use 3R’s ?
* Saving space
* Saving natural resources
* Save energy
* Reduce pollution
A key part of waste “reduction” is CONSERVATION.
You and your family can practice reduction by selecting products that do not have to be added to landfills.
* Buy and use less
* Wise packaging selections – precycle by purchasing products in packaging that’s recyclable, buy in bulk, refuse to buy over-packaged products, buy unpackaged or “bare” items when you can.
* Buy 100% recyclable products ~ recycled paper, recycled glass etc.
* Avoid man-made fibers
* Refuse store bag, bring your own shopping bag
* Use durable products
* Avoid buying disposable items
* Buy local
* Cut down on can and frozen food
* Cut down on takeaways
* Avoid aerosol sprays (contain CFCs that deplete the ozone layer)
* Avoid buying styrofoam prepackaged items
* Start a garden, consider planting bamboo (stores more CO2 and generate 35% more oxygen than an equivalent stand of trees)
* Save water ~ take showers instead of baths, don’t leave water running when cleaning your teeth, fix dripping taps
* Save energy ~ replaced a light bulb with Compact Fluorescent (CFL) because it last up to 10 times longer than traditional bulbs; only lights rooms you are actually occupying; use a laptop; wash clothes in cold water
* Carpool, ride a bicycle or take public transportation
* Unplug electrical appliances when not in used
* Drive smaller, more energy-efficient car & use lead-free petrol
* Never pour toxic substances like insecticide or kerosene or cooking oil down the drain
Do not throw away things that are still usable, pass on to others who can use them. ” One man’s waste is another man’s treasure.”
* re-use disposables like plastic cups, plates, utensils and plastic food storage bags, etc.
* take along lunchbox or tiffin when buying takeaways
* repair rather than replace
* donate to charity
* hold a garage sale or give-away
* Use canvas or cloth bags when shopping
* reuse plastic bags
* buy washable cotton diapers
* use empty plastic water or soft drink bottles as drink bottle for school and office
* buy product in refillable containers e.g. washing powder, coffee, tea etc.
* reuse old envelope
* use both sides of paper
* scrap paper use to make own paper
* rent or borrow items you don’t use very often
* save old egg cartons, toilet rolls, margarine and ice-cream tubs for art & crafts
* use refillable pens instead of disposable
* use rechargeable batteries and refillable print cartridge
* used egg carton to plant seedlings
* find creative way to reuse your waste before throwing it into the bin
Recycling occurs when you save and take reusable materials to places where they can remade it into either the same product or new products. Recycling means turning something old into something new.
Just about anything in your home (or office or school etc.) that cannot be reused CAN be recycled into something else. Set up a system of separating your waste for recycling.
* Paper ~ tie into bundles
* Beverage carton ~ FLIP : open the top side flaps of the carton; FLAP : open the bottom flaps; FLAT : flatten it.
* Aluminium can ~ empty contents, rinse, dry and crush & metal containers ~ empty contents and clean
* Glass ~ empty contents and clean
* Plastic : drinking bottle ~ remove cap, empty bottle, rinse and crush; plastic containers ~ empty contents and clean
* Organic (food scrap) ~ pour into compost heap in your garden to be turn into fertilizer.
Deposit them at the various recycle centre. Make sure you put the waste in the correct bin.
Remember, recycling is a great way to conserve resources – but even better is not to create
the waste in the first place.
Now, isn’t that easy ? There is so much YOU can do with very little effort. And the best part is you will probably save yourself a lot of money while you are at it.
I hope the above do help some of you who are still mong cha cha about 3R. It’s very simple. Start doing it today. You can even collect points and exchange it for Jusco voucher at the link above.
Wow…since this is the most popular post, I’ve decided to bring it up front. To see the actual brochure, you can visit my design site . Sorry, site expired. Will have another up ASAP. See it here.